Monday, May 10, 2010

Mom's Day


Sunday was Mother's Day and Drew and Luke made sure it was a special first Mother's Day for me.  When I woke up and went into the living room, I found this special card, made by Drew and Luke--specifically, Luke's big toe.  Drew used water colors and Luke's toes to make flower petals and little bugs (bees and ladybugs).  It is adorable, and I will cherish it forever.  Plus, the story about the two of them making it is something I will cherish forever--it sounds like it was quite a task.

Being a mom is more than I ever imagined!  I remember when the nurse laid Luke on my chest right after he was born and he looked right into my eyes as the nurse said, "look honey, it's your mommy."  Hearing those words--"it's your mommy" made everything even more real--I am forever now a mom.  What a joy, a responsibility and a true blessing.  Luke really is miracle and I am forever thankful!  Thank you Lord for giving us Luke.  I don't think there will ever be a day that I will not look into his eyes or stare at him in amazement. 

Happy Mother's Day to our moms as well.  Mom, I now COMPLETELY understand why you worried so much about us.  It is hard to imagine how much love you can have for a child.

Here's a cute poem I found that I thought I'd share about being a mom. 


Before I was a Mom -
I slept as late as I wanted and never worried about how late I got into bed. I brushed my hair and my teeth everyday.

Before I was a Mom -
I cleaned my house each day. I never tripped over toys or forgot words to a lullaby. I didn't worry whether or not my plants were poisonous. I never thought about immunizations.

Before I was a Mom -
I had never been Puked on - Pooped on - Spit on - Chewed on, or Peed on. I had complete control of my mind and my thoughts. I slept all night.

Before I was a Mom -
I never held down a screaming child so that doctors could do tests...or give shots. I never looked into teary eyes and cried. I never got gloriously happy over a simple grin. I never sat up late hours at night watching a baby sleep.

Before I was a Mom -
I never held a sleeping baby just because I didn't want to put it down. I never felt my heart break into a million pieces when I couldn't stop the hurt. I never knew that something so small could affect my life
so much. I never knew that I could love someone so much. I never knew I would love being a Mom.

Before I was a Mom -
I didn't know the feeling of having my heart outside my body. I didn't know how special it could feel to feed a hungry baby. I didn't know that bond between a mother and her child. I didn't know that something so small could make me feel so important.

Before I was a Mom -
I had never gotten up in the middle of the night every 10 minutes to make sure all was okay. I had never known the warmth, the joy, the love, the heartache, the wonderment or the satisfaction of being a Mom. I didn't know I was capable of feeling so much before I was a Mom.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you had a special first mother's day as a mom. That's a very cute card. You better start keeping a keepsake box because that will be the first card of many! Love the poem--so true. My life is so busy now with 2 girls, and that poem made me stop and think about how special my girls are to me. Thanks! Cute bathtime pics!
    Holly

    ReplyDelete