Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Answered Prayers thus far

Remember the list of prayer requests from my "I Have Cancer" post? Here are some that have already been answered:


  • That the cancer is contained to the breast area and has not spread to ANY other organ.   Prayer Answered
  • That the treatment team is the best possible for my specific cancer.  If we need to travel to get that best treatment, we are willing.     Prayer Answered
  • That I can get all of my appointments scheduled just as quickly as possible so we can treat this rapidly.    Prayer Answered--I think I may even have a record time on this one.
  • That I will be as healthy as possible through all this.  I currently have bronchitis and it is difficult to breath.  I feel very weak, lightheaded and dizzy, and I am hoping this will all pass when the bronchitis passes.    Prayer is being answered-I feel SO MUCH better!
  • That Abbey can start more easily drinking formula.  She is now doing pretty well drinking breastmilk out of the sippy cup, but knows when we try to sneak the formula in.  We are starting to be able to get the mix of breastmilk and formula down her.  However, with my need to discontinue lactation, the supply is getting low.    Prayer Answered--Abbey is doing SO WELL!  She is even drinking out of a bottle! Thank you to all of the wonderful mommas who have donated milk to help us wean her.  This has been, and continues to be, extremely helpful.
  • And lastly, that I find time to visit my family in between treatments.  I really miss them.    Prayer Answered--my parents visited last weekend, we visited Drew's family in Houston Sunday and Monday, and hopefully, after we figure out this chemo thing, maybe I can visit my Oklahoma family sometime soon.

Here are some other answered prayers:
  • Andrea, Drew's cousin, set up a prayer event for Monday (9/24) on Facebook titled "Healing for Heather."  We have really felt the numerous prayers.  On Monday, God orchestrated the appointment  at MD Anderson and even the specific words used by the physician to make it extremely clear where he wanted my treatment.  Also, we feel so comfortable with the treatment plan and our local oncologist's expertise based on the MD Anderson appointment.  This has added to our peace and strength to continue in beating this cancer.    Prayer Answered
  • Immediately after my diagnosis, I was very concerned about being a burden on Drew, and him missing some work to go to a lot of initial appointments.   His manager and team has been AMAZING. They told him to focus on taking care of me and not to worry about work.  Of course, he is still going to be an extremely dedicated and diligent employee as he has always been, but a huge burden has been lifted.  He doesn't have to worry about needing to take off of work for all of these initial appointments.  Prayer Answered
  • I had an MRI of the brain and lumbar region on Saturday to rule out some things based on some symptoms I have been having.  The results showed the brain is clear of tumors and the lumbar region also looked great (other than some early arthritic changes).   Prayer Answered
  • Lastly, Drew and I just have an extreme sense of peace about everything.  This type of peace can only come from prayers being answered in my opinion.  This is an extremely scary thing we are going through, and I know the road ahead will be extremely tough.  However, we are dealing with each day as it comes, trying not to worry about the future. God has given us so much peace.  Mathew 6: 25-31 says,
25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?26"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? 28And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?
31"So do not worry, saying, `What shall we eat?' or `What shall we drink?' or `What shall we wear?' 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Thank you again for your continued prayers.  Here are our current prayer requests:

  1. That things feel as normal as possible to Luke and Abbey.  Luke knows something is wrong with me and he is the sweetest little guy ever!  He has been loving on me extra hard and asks me each day if my boo boo is getting better.  He has even offered his words of encouragement, showing me his "boo-boos" that were once big but are getting smaller and smaller each day.  
  2. That the port-placement surgery goes extremely well and I have no sedation issues.  
  3. That my body tolerates the chemotherapy well and that it is extremely effective in ridding my body of the cancer.  (Basically, prayers for complete healing).
  4. I have been broken out in hives since the day following my PET/CT scan last week (Wednesday).  Perhaps I am allergic to the contrast. So, I have been itching continuously since then.  I am taking benadryl as often as I am allowed, but they have not yet gone away.  Also, I found out that hives are a pretty common side affect of chemotherapy.  So, I ask for prayers that these hives go away and don't come back!  
Love you all!



2 comments:

  1. Heather, Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers every day! We love being able to get your regular updates so we know exactly how to pray for you and Drew. It is so amazing how our precious Lord is paving the way for you and meeting your needs!! We will continue to pray for complete healing and peace and comfort for your family. We love you very much! Dan and Teresa Hobbs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post, Heather! The proven power of prayer is so motivating. We appreciate your updates and will continue praying for the post that says "Complete healing - PRAY ANSWERED!"

    ReplyDelete