Wednesday, October 3, 2012

BRCA1 and BRCA2 Results

You may remember in a previous post that I discussed submitting genetic testing for two specific gene mutations: BRCA1 and BRCA2.  BRCA1 and BRCA2 are human genes that are part of a class of tumor suppressors.  Mutation of these genes is linked to hereditary breast and ovarian cancer.  A woman's risk of developing breast and/or ovarian cancer is greatly increased if she inherits either harmful gene mutation.  Also, men with these mutations have an increased risk of breast cancer.  In fact, men and women who have the mutations may be at increased risk of other cancers as well.

Today, it is common practice when one is diagnosed with breast cancer to undergo genetic testing to determine whether the mutation exists.  I was told that if the genetic mutation existed in me, it would be recommended that I have both breasts and ovaries removed to prevent recurrence.  Also, if I had the genetic mutation, there was a 50% chance I passed it on to my children, there was a 50% chance that my siblings inherited the gene mutation, and there was a 50% chance either of my parents have the mutation.  Honestly, because of my age, I assumed I had the mutation.  I just don't understand why I acquired the cancer otherwise.

Yesterday, I received an email with an attachment of my BRACAnalysis results.  As soon as I received it, I quickly opened the message and attachment.  I could not believe my eyes.  I saw the words: "NO MUTATION DETECTED".  WOW!  Another answer to prayer.  I guess I get to keep my ovaries.  :-)  AND, I am so thankful that I didn't pass this harmful mutation on to either of my children.  Thank you Lord!

So, now I feel like I have a really good understanding of my cancer.  I have stage 3C invasive mammary carcninoma, ductal type.  I am ER+ and PR+ and Her2- (these three markers are all good, as far as preventing recurrence is concerned).

No comments:

Post a Comment