Friday, March 28, 2014

Giving Them Grace


Fairly recently, Luke has really began mourning for his sin.  It is actually such a beautiful thing.   Here is a story of when it first began.

About a month ago, Luke had been such a good boy all day long--he was truly a joy to be around, as he is most days.  But, as happens with most of us, he fell into sin later in the afternoon when he disobeyed me.  As I disciplined Luke, explaining why what he did was wrong, he began wailing loudly.  This wailing was the really loud kind of wailing--as if he were badly hurt.  Confused, I asked him what was wrong.  I didn't understand why he was crying so loudly; I was speaking to him softly, yet sternly, so it couldn't have been due to the way I was speaking to him.  His reply melted my heart right then and there.  Luke said, "Mommy, I really wanted to be a good boy today, but I didn't."  Oh. My. Goodness.  My little boy had made that turn in the road towards truly understanding and grieving over his sin.  He really wanted to be a good boy, but his sin nature got the best of him.  At that very moment I felt God tugging on my heart to explain grace to Luke.  So, that is what I did.


"You see, Luke, we all sin, unfortunately.   Mommy sins too.  I don't want to, but sometimes it happens.  When it does happen, it makes me very sad.  So, I go to God in prayer and ask Him for forgiveness.  When God sent His son, Jesus Christ to earth, His purpose was to be a perfect sacrifice for our sin. Jesus didn't even sin once, because He was God--He was perfect.  But, he bore the pain of all our sins by dying on the cross.   I believe that Jesus Christ died for my sin, so He has forgiven me...even though I don't deserve it.  That is called Grace.  Luke, I tell you what.  Just like Jesus wiped all my sins clean when I asked him to come into my heart, I am going to do the same for you.  I am going to forgive you for disobeying me, and give you a clean slate for the day.  It is like you never disobeyed me.  Just try really hard not to do it again, okay."

God urged me right there to show Luke the picture of grace.  Little did I know though, that God was teaching me through the whole experience.  After I said those words to Luke, he gave me a huge smile and I literally felt the weight of the sin that he was grieving over lifted.  He was a new little boy.  By going through this experience with Luke, I began to look at forgiveness and sin from the eyes of our Father in heaven.  The Bible tells me that man was created in the image of God.  Also, I know that Jesus came to earth and experienced the same human emotions we experience.  Although I was very disappointed in him for disobeying me, I was also extremely touched that Luke was sad over that disobedience.  Although I am sure God is disappointed when we sin (as it separates us from Him), just as my heart melted when my little Luke cried over his sin, I am sure that our heavenly father is touched when we mourn over our sin and ask for forgiveness.  After Luke cried over His sin and in those tears admitted he really wanted to be a good boy, I just wanted to embrace him with the biggest hug ever and forgive him a million times over.  Perhaps, that is how God feels when we mourn our sin and ask forgiveness. 

I experienced this again yesterday, when once again Luke cried loudly over his sin, telling me he was really wanting to be a good boy.   And once again, my heart melted and I just wanted to embrace him and pour out on him as much love and grace as I had at that moment in time.  Thank you, Lord, for teaching me in these precious moments with my children!

Matthew 5:4:  "Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted."


2 Corinthians 12:9: "But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me."

1 comment: