Tuesday, November 8, 2016

November--a month of Thankfulness

We will see how this actually goes, but I would love to spend this busy November blogging about the topic of thankfulness.   I think feeling and expressing appreciation is really good for us. And, it is apparently important to God as "thankfulness" is mentioned in the Bible numerous times.  Just like any father, God wants us to learn to be thankful for all the gifts He has given us (as in James 1:17).  And after all, everything we have is a gift from Him.  1 Thessalonians 5:18 says, "In everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus."  And when the verse says "in everything" it is not just referring to things you like or enjoy, but in ALL circumstances.  And when we focus on this, it is extremely difficult to have a negative attitude.  When I was going through my cancer treatment, I had a lot of difficulty and death looked like it could be a real possibility (and soon).  But, I had the most joy during this time than I had in any other time in my life.  Doesn't that sound crazy?  But, having that near death experience put things into perspective for me.  Psalm 90:12 says, “Teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom.”  Knowing my days were numbered helped to increase my thankfulness dramatically.  Suddenly, I began to be thankful in even the itty bitty things.

And that is what I want to focus on again this month.  On being thankful for everything--all circumstances--in all things!  We ended the month of October by dressing up in costumes together as a family.  This has been an annual tradition for us and it sure does bring me joy.  So today, I am thankful for a husband that goes along with all of my silly ideas.  Also, I love that our kids enjoy dressing up in family themed costumes.  I know this may not be the case for their entire life, but I am sure thankful for it while it lasts.  :-)

This year, we went as the Incredibles.  When I met Drew, this was one of his favorite movies.   Since then, Pixar has released some other really good ones, but this movie is still near the top of his list.  Here are our costumes for this year:



Luke was Dash.  Dash's super power is lightning fast speed.
 
Abbey was Violet, who has the ability to be invisible.

And can you tell what Mr. Incredible's Super power is?  He has supernatural strength.  Mrs. Incredible has "elasticity" super powers.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment