Monday, February 20, 2017

What We're Eating This Week

As promised, here is this week's "What We're Eating This Week."  I have been providing these blog posts for the past 5 weeks.  But, I am not really sure how useful the past couple have been.  So, I think this one will be my last unless I hear that many people are still using them.  Including this post, I have included 5 weeks of our family's favorite meals.  This week we are enjoying more of our family favorites:


Here is this week's dinner plan:

Monday:  Tacos!  I absolutely love tacos....and my love for tacos sort of spilled out onto my family.  We have tacos---either for lunch or dinner, at minimum, of once per week.  We are addicted and I blame it on our city of Austin!   Click HERE to see what I am talking about.  We seriously could eat tacos for breakfast, lunch and dinner here.  Anyway, here is one of my favorite homemade tacos recipe.  I have used both grass-fed beef and chicken in these tacos and both are delicious.  If using chicken, make sure you dice it really small after cooking, or shred it.


Baked Crunchy Tacos With Grass-fed Beef, Spinach and Black Beans


12 Crunchy Taco Shells (using organic corn, whole grain is best!  I find these at whole foods)
1 1/2 C Black Beans Or One Can, Rinsed  (This isn't completely from scratch, but I actually prefer to use a jar of whole foods brand black bean and corn salsa in place of the beans.  This is the way I cook the tacos 95% of the time.)
1 lb. Grass-fed Beef
1-2 Tbsp of Coconut Oil
1-1.5 cups of corn (I use organic frozen sweet corn)
1 Red Bell Pepper, Diced
1-2 Tsp. Tumeric
1-2 Tsp. Cumin
1 Tbsp. Garlic Powder (or 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced)
1 Tsp. Black Pepper
1 Tsp. Salt
Organic Sharp Cheddar or Colby Jack Cheese, Sliced into small pieces. Or shredded
Spinach and Arugula to top (about two cups). (or avocado)


Preheat Oven to 350˚


In a skillet on low to medium heat, heat 1-2 tablespoons of oil. Add the corn and diced red bell peppers and a sprinkle of salt. Cook these until they just begin to brown, stirring every so often. Set aside.


Next, brown the ground beef in the skillet. After the beef is browned, drain the oil and add the seasoning. I generously sprinkle turmeric, cumin and garlic powder (or throw in some fresh minced garlic while the beef is browning), salt and pepper and then add in the black bean/corn salsa (or beans) on low heat.


Line the shells on a 13x9 baking pan. Fill the shells by the spoonful until you run out of filling.
Top with cheese
Bake until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
Top with Spinach & Arugula (and sliced avocados)


Tuesday: leftovers


Wednesday: Quiche with a side salad


My favorite quiche is a combination of two other peoples recipes. I used the crust recipe from 100 days of real food found here: https://www.100daysofrealfood.com/quiche-with-a-super-easy-whole-wheat-crust/ . This crust is delicious and extremely easy. And, I often use the filling recipe from midwest living.com found here: http://www.midwestliving.com/recipe/casseroles/heirloom-tomato-and-onion-quiche For this recipe, I sub in a healthy flour, such as oat flour or 100% whole wheat flour. And, as I mentioned above, I make a homemade crust. The quiche recipe from 100 days of real food is delicious as well though. It is found in the same link as the crust link that I posted.


For our side salad, I always use greens that the kids enjoy, like baby spinach or spring greens. For them to enjoy it, it is important to add lots of fruit to it, as well as a delicious homemade dressing. The sweeter the better! (And it is easy to make naturally sweet dressings, such as my maple balsamic dressing mentioned a couple of weeks ago).


Thursday: Stir fry with a delicious homemade fried rice. For the stir fry, we use the 100 days of real food farmers market stir fry recipe as a guideline: https://www.100daysofrealfood.com/recipe-farmers-market-stir-fry/ For the fried rice, I love this recipe that I got from the Sustainable Food Center after taking a healthy cooking class from them.  I took a photo of the recipe from the book because I don't have time to re-type it all.  I hope you can read it:


 Friday: There should be plenty of Thursday night's meal to eat as leftovers on Friday night.

Dessert/Snacks:

And in case anyone is interested, here is my absolute favorite brownie recipe.  It is so good and pretty much guilt-free.  I would almost go so far as to say these brownies are good for you.  The black beans add some good nutrients.  :-)  We love this recipe and it has been one of our go-to's for many years now. In fact, when Abbey asked for a chocolate cake for her birthday this year, I just used this brownie recipe as the "cake" and cooked them a little longer so they were more cake-like.  Then, I added some chocolate frosting, which was also her request.  She actually didn't know I used the black bean brownie recipe but said it was the best chocolate cake she had ever eaten!  This recipe is courtesy of Chocolate Covered Katie.

Black Bean Brownies

Total Time: 15m
Yield: 9-12 brownies

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups black beans (1 15-oz can, drained and rinsed very well) (250g after draining)
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder (10g)
  • 1/2 cup quick oats (40g) (See nutrition link below for substitutions)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup or agave (or honey, but not for strict vegans.) (or increase maple syrup to 1/2 cup if not using stevia or sugar (listed next)) (75g)
  • pinch uncut stevia OR 2 tbsp sugar (or omit and increase maple syrup to 1/2 cup--We always increase maple syrup to 1/2 cup and omit the stevia and sugar)
  • 1/4 cup coconut or vegetable oil (40g)
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup chocolate chips (115-140g) (Not optional. Omit at your own risk.)
  • optional: more chips, for presentation

Instructions

Black Bean Brownies Recipe: Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine all ingredients except chips in a good food processor, and blend until completely smooth. Really blend well. (A blender can work if you absolutely must, but the texture—and even the taste—will be much better in a food processor.) Stir in the chips, then pour into a greased 8×8 pan. Optional: sprinkle extra chocolate chips over the top. Cook the black bean brownies 15-18 minutes, then let cool at least 10 minutes before trying to cut. If they still look a bit undercooked, you can place them in the fridge overnight and they will magically firm up! Makes 9-12 brownies. If you make this recipe, don’t forget to leave a review! The trick with these: serve them first, and then reveal the secret ingredient. In all the times I’ve served bean desserts, not one single person who didn’t know beforehand has ever guessed!


No comments:

Post a Comment