Sunday, October 27, 2013

Bubble Bath Fun at Mimi and Papa's house (and a little post-cancer update)

I love that I am able to write some blog posts that don't pertain to cancer or cancer treatment.  While I do appreciate what God's allowance of cancer in my life has done to strengthen my relationship with Him and change my perspective on life, I am hoping that I never see it again!  I had an appointment a couple of weeks ago with my oncologist.  It was my 3 month-follow up visit.   I can't believe it has been over three months since my last appointment there.  I know I shouldn't have asked her about my "odds" of recurrence, because God doesn't care about what statistics show.  But, I did ask her.  She said that there was around a 30% chance that my cancer will return.  As you may know, if it returns, it would be considered stage 4 or terminal.  But, we are still standing firm on Mark 5:36, "Do not be afraid, just believe." We are believing that God has healed me, and He is in complete control of the outcome.  But, as you can imagine, the battle is not over.  There is a serious battlefield in my mind.  As I notice changes in my body, the question of whether or not the cancer is trying to return comes to mind.  My battle plan is to quash those thoughts immediately with prayer and thanksgiving.  So far, it is a successful plan.  This time of year is really tough though, since "breast cancer awareness" and the color, pink, is everywhere.  The thoughts are happening more frequently, which tells me that Satan is trying harder.  We would truly appreciate continued prayers through this battle.  The oncologist told me that most patients (80%) who have recurrence, experience it within the first two years post diagnosis.  Another 10% experience it within years 3-5, and the remaining approximate 10% experience it within years 5-10.  She said that if you go 10 years without recurrence, the cancer is very unlikely to return.  She does think I should consider reconstruction again.  I had failed reconstruction on my left, radiated breast side, but she recommends I get another opinion.  I am sure there is something to looking somewhat normal in the mirror positively affecting one's health, as the absence of the left breast, along with the scars is a daily reminder of cancer.

My hair is really growing though (although in an extremely awkward phase right now), so that is super-exciting.  I am just happy that is getting more normal and I am being able to begin some routines.  I don't want to have to think about more surgeries for a while.   I am currently trying to establish a workout routine, and I am attending physical therapy twice a week due to some lymphedema issues and axillary cording (which has negatively affected the range of motion of my left arm.)

Okay--I just realized I started my blog post with a sentence about not writing about cancer, and then I totally wrote about cancer.  Oops.  Well, I am hoping that is the last you see of the cancer stuff for a while.  Dr. H. (my oncologist) did say she is going to scan me fairly frequently, so I will have updates about those results periodically.

Now for something super happy and fun.  Luke and Abbey had a blast in Mimi and Papa's big bath tub last weekend.  We don't do bubble baths at our house, so this was a special treat that they enjoyed.  We just had to snap some photos.








Luke made Abbey look like Princess Leia from Star Wars.

"Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi; you're my only hope."

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your posts! We will continue to pray for peace of mind and protection from Satan's lies.

    ReplyDelete